Thursday, May 14, 2009

How I almost lost my baby from making my house smell clean

about a week ago I wanted to buy a product that would make my house smell clean and my 13 year old room who sleeps with is dog smell better. I was at Bed Bath and Beyond and picked up a oil woodstick diffuser which are very popular right now.

My husband (third time is a charm, that is a whole new blog in itself, have the Christie Brinkley syndrome LOL!) says to me isnt that what almost killed Drake, and I was like OMG you are so right.

so here is the deal 10+ years ago when my 13 year old son was 18 mos, I know the math isnt right but just work with me on this one, it was mothers day and my husband at the time was making me breakfast before I got up and was letting me sleep in, Drake 18 mos at that time took the dipstick of the liquid candle and put it into his mouth, soon after he started to develop a weird cough and within a hour was having trouble breathing.

Note this was a baby that I had with a heart problem and went home without my baby as he spent 10 days in ICU.

We immediately called Poison control and they had a team waiting for us at the hospital, on the way there I was just trying to keep him awake, to be honest we did not know what had happened at that point, by the time we got to the hospital he was totally lifeless, in a coma like state, and the doctors could do nothing except keep him stable, the oil had evaporated in his lungs and he had no room to breathe and had a heart problem on top of that.

I called my parents who flew from California the next day, my baby was still in a coma like state, not responding a machine helping him breathe, and then 48hours later he came too, luckily for us, when my parents came my baby had just opened his eyes for the first time in 48 hours and just asked for some juice.

To this day he still has scar tissue on his lungs from the incident, so tell every mom you know grandparents you know, this is not worth your house smelling good, but just like I did the other day we dont realize the dangers and/or chemicals we put out there for our babies/toddlers to be exposed too!

No comments:

Post a Comment